Gold and silver jewelry set with porous or soft gemstones need to be handled with care when cleaning these items with “home-remedy” solutions.
You should avoid submerging silver and gold jewelry set with coral, turquoise or pearls in water or cleaning solutions due to the potential for damage to the stones.
How, then, can you clean these delicate items? It’s actually quite easy, just follow these steps. Here is what you’ll need:
- Dish-washing liquid such as Dawn
- Small bowl
- Cotton swab
- Damp cloth
- Non-abrasive jewelry polishing cloth
THE CLEANING PROCESS:
Add a small amount of dish soap to a small bowl filled with warm water(not hot!) to create a mild solution.
When cleaning jewelry with soft gemstones first, dip a cotton swab in the solution, you’ll want it to be moist, but not dripping.
Next, wipe the silver or gold piece with the moist cotton swab. Re-moisten and/or use a new swab as needed. Pay special attention to tiny crevices and bends in the jewelry-piece where dirt and perspiration can create build up.
Wipe clean with a soft cloth moistened with clean water and allow the piece to air dry completely. If needed, restore shine with a non-abrasive jewelry polishing cloth.
Repeat these cleanings frequently to avoid buildup of grime and tarnish and keep your jewelry looking its best.
- Use a clean section of polishing cloth and turn it frequently to avoid scratching your jewelry.
- Polish in an up and down or side to side motion, never circular. Periodically change the direction of your polish to avoid leaving marks on the surface.
- If the silver does not come clean, take it to a professional. They should have the expertise to clean your piece of jewelry without damaging the gemstones.
We hope you found this article helpful in getting an overall sense of how to clean and care for your delicate soft gemstone-based jewelry. However, should you have any additional questions about this or any other jewelry related topics, you can always: “Ask the Jeweller”